Friday, May 9, 2014

House of Literature // The Book Thief

My own tattered copy of The Book Thief
Another book I highly recommend reading. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It has gotten a lot of attention in the media and a movie is now out. However, I was initially drawn to it just by the summary of the book that I got strictly from the title. A girl who steals books. That's cool. Also, it is set in Germany during World War II, which is a fascinating time period to me as it is to most people.

So I read it... No, I devoured it.

I wanted to quote one of my favorite parts from the book. Don't worry, nothing of the plot will be given away. This is a 13-page 'storybook' that a Jew in hiding wrote for the main character, Liesel. Here it is:

"The Standover Man"
All my life, I've been scared of men standing over me.
I suppose my first standover man was my father,
but he vanished before I could remember him.
For some reason, when I was a boy, I liked to fight.
A lot of the time, I lost.
Another boy, sometimes with blood falling from his nose, would be standing over me.
Many years later, I needed to hide. 
I tried not to sleep because I was afraid of who might be there when I woke up.
But I was lucky.
It was always my friend.
When I was hiding, I dreamed of a certain man.
The hardest was when I traveled to find him.
Out of sheer luck and many footsteps, I made it.
I slept there for a long time.
Three days, they told me... and what did I find when I woke up?
Not a man, but someone else, standing over me.
As time passed by, the girl and I realized we had things in common.
But there is one strange thing.
The girl says I look like something else.
Now I live in a basement.
Bad dreams still live in my sleep.
One night, after my usual nightmare, a shadow stood above me. 
She said, "Tell me what you dream of."
So I did.
In return, she explained what her own dreams were made of.
Now I think we are friends, this girl and me.
On her birthday, it was she who gave a gift--to me.
It makes me understand that the best standover man I've ever known is not a man at all...

-Markus Zusak in The Book Thief

There were hand painted pictures to go along with it, but you'll just have to read the book to see those!

I hope that if you were on the fence about reading this book, this post helped encourage you to do it.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment