Monday, April 7, 2014

In Theory // Memphis: The City of Rock 'n' Soul


My last post was August 2013. A lot has happened since then but the most significant thing was my two months I spent experiencing Memphis, TN!!

I went with a coworker and we were peak season support for a sister company there during the months of November and December. Our sister company prints for several large internet companies that sell holiday cards and envelopes, save the dates for weddings, gift tags, labels and anything else you can imagine someone might think they need for Christmas gifts or announcements. The months of November and December are insanely busy for this printing company because everyone orders everything at one time. So Blake (my coworker) and I managed one of the workflows during the day, 12 hours a day with no weekends. It was difficult but a great career experience and we both learned so much.



But we didn’t only work! We got out and experienced as much of the atmosphere of Memphis as possible. For instance, I didn’t know this but Memphis has an NBA team: the Memphis Grizzlies. We got to go to three of their games. We saw the Celtics, the Spurs, and the Jazz play the Grizzlies.

Blake and I cheering on the Grizzlies!

Chris Humphries!
I also heard some awesome live jazz music and some street opera. The night of the music was an art walk I went to, similar to First Friday here in Raleigh where the art galleries are open for visitors and there is lots of live music and food. One art gallery owner had this huge beautiful dog I took pictures with. 

I finished knitting this blue scarf while I was there... :)
I ate way too much food for sure. I am now officially addicted to barbecue, where before I was just very passionate about it. My all-time favorite place I ate there was this tiny little place called the Germantown Commissary. Best. Barbecue. Ever. I brought back 13 containers of their barbecue sauce because you can’t get it here.



We were very responsible while we were there but we did get out and have a few nights with fun drinks at cool places. The very last night I went out with two of the friends I made there. We went to a place called Paula’s. They play 80s and 90s music, have fog machines, and every kind of neon light you can imagine. I had a great last night.
Pretty Margarita!


"The Bucket"

Paula's Dance Club





All in all, I had a great time in Memphis. It’s such a rich city with a lot of history and deep loves. It is also starting to grow and come back alive with young people so that’s exciting. I miss the friends I made there but now it’s their turn to come visit me in Raleigh!

2 comments: